4.18.2010

The No Impact Experiment

Starting today, I am embarking on the No Impact Experiment, an eight-day "carbon cleanse," a challenge designed to reduce my carbon footprint and see how it affects my quality of life and well-being in the process.  I am joined by a small group of friends and community members who will be meeting throughout the week for camaraderie and inspiration.  With each day comes a new added personal challenge:
Today, ceasing to buy anything new (except food) for the week
Monday, making no new trash (and collecting any trash made by mistake or necessity throughout the week)
Tuesday, no or low impact transportation
Wednesday, eating only locally and organically
Thursday, reducing energy use
Friday, reducing water use
Saturday, giving back to your community
Sunday, observing an eco-sabbath (you and the environment take a break)

I think I'll learn a lot this week!  I know there are ways in which I can be a better steward of my resources.  This project addresses pretty much all of our daily living habits in a short eight days, but I look forward to walking away with new insights and ideas for positive long-term change.

No comments:

Post a Comment